Sunday, November 21, 2010

A colossal waste

Stop the hate. Embrace differences. Accept one another. It's not too much to ask. 

This was the status on FB that prompted my first blog request.  (That has never happened to me before, but I'm more than happy to oblige)

In essence I have just been bogged down by the media reports with hate at the centre.  The anti-gay, anti-religion, anti-everything you can think of that is  different from your beliefs.  I just think that the world would be a much better place if people just learned to accept what is different about others and move on.  Hate is the biggest time waster and serves no purpose except to breed more of exactly what we don't need on this planet.   It's a pretty sad state of affairs when young people are committing suicide to escape the bullying, or, I prefer the terms harassment or abuse, of their peers.  How do their parents go on?  I don't know.  I certainly don't know what I would do if I were in their shoes.  I can only imagine that I would want to die too.  Gay vs. dead.  Hm.  I'd take gay any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I am not saying I'm perfect, but, I certainly know enough to keep my opinions to myself when I don't agree.  I try not to give unsolicited advice.  Other people's choices are none of my business.  We have the freedom to choose who we love, who we pray to, and how we want to live our lives.  If we break laws, there are consequences.  That's the great thing about the country we live in.  Who are we to judge the choices of others?  Before doing that, I think we need to take a good close look in the mirror.  The only person I can change, is myself.    

4 comments:

  1. I totatlly agree with you Amanada. I've been thinking the same thing lately. It brings to mind something I learned in university many years ago. John Stweart Mills proposed a "Happiness Principle"; basically you are entitled to persue your own happiness to the extent that it doesn't harm are hamper another's ability to persue their happiness. Also if it allows you and others to also be happy, that's the best possible choice. You might not agree with everything he says, but I think this is a good rule of thumb myself. If your happy and not hurting me or anyone else, go ahead! Everyone has a right to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like that principle. I'll have to read some of this John Stewart Mills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Gay vs. alive. Hm. I'd take gay any day of the week and twice on Sunday."

    This is a powerful statement. What is staggering is that there are probably parents out there who would disagree. And I can't for the life of me understand why.

    Having differing beliefs should not lead to hate, even if a lifestyle goes against said beliefs. There's room in this world for every person in it, regardless of who they are and what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm thinking i should really edit my post to say "gay vs. dead" sort of makes more sense. :|

    ReplyDelete