Monday, November 22, 2010

Thirty-two and counting

Well, another year older.  I may not be that much wiser, but I am sure that I have learned a few things.  The time goes by so fast.  The past year has represented quite a large change in my life.  I felt like I closed one chapter of my life and opened another.  I started a new job within the organization I have worked with for the past 4 years which is in large part responsible for the transformation.  I have had more opportunities to learn and grow both personally and professionally.  I have learned some hard lessons and some very gratifying ones.  I am helping children get the services they need to be as successful as they can be no matter what their challenges are.  That in and of itself has made the past year worthwhile.  I believe that I was put on this Earth to improve the lives of children.  I sort of fell into it by accident, but now that I'm here, it feels like the right place for me.  Here is a summary of the lessons I have taken away from the past year. 

1.  Having a plan is great but things don't always go according to plan, so be flexible

2.  If life hands you lemons, make lemonade

3.  It is important to keep (as much as humanly possible) your work life separate from your home life

4.  Be thankful every day for the gifts you have been given

5.  Focus on strengths to minimize weakness

6.  When you go back to school as an adult you realize why school is designed for young people

7.  My happiness is tied directly to that of my son

8.  I have learned so much about Autism and Developmental Disabilities.  I don't even know where to begin to explain how much I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment