Tuesday, March 22, 2011

They don't get it

It makes me crazy when people don't understand why money is a struggle for some people.  I am not poor, I have a good job, so does my husband, but at the end of the month there is not a lot of wiggle room.  We budget food, living expenses (ie. bills), fuel costs, car payment, child care.  As an example (but there have been other scenarios as well):  I have decided to sell my car to free up some money and the most common question I get is "Why?  You'll be able to drive eventually."  Yes, but that is not guaranteed, and I really don't want to pay for a car that's just sitting in my driveway doing nothing useful.  That money is better spent, for the moment, on living expenses or being put towards some FUN things to do as a family.  We could have a REAL summer holiday, or plan some activities that we otherwise wouldn't be able to do since really, money is often tight.  Recently at work, I won a prize draw for completing a survey (mgmt trying to get 100% participation, but I'm all for it!), people couldn't grasp why I was celebrating in my office.  I can't even remember the last movie I saw in the theatre.  If we wanted to go see a new movie at the theatre, it would cost more than our subscription to Netflix for....Ahhh, forget it.  I just hear myself bitching and I'm sick of myself already.

2 comments:

  1. The response of some of these people makes me wonder what their stewardship practices are when it comes to money. Is it a cavalier attitude because it isn't their own money? Is it a lack of understanding of the need for caution? Or is it plain old irresponsible attitudes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or the other thing I was thinking is that maybe they aren't involved in managing the family's money? Maybe their partner takes care of it for whatever reason? I don't know. All I know is that I felt really condescended upon at that moment.

    ReplyDelete