Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mo' movies!

Ever since I was a child, movies have been a big part of my life.  Friday or Saturday nights as a family we would sit down, pop some corn and enjoy a movie together.  The TV's back then were a lot smaller, rounded at the edges, and we watched tapes in the VCR (we owned a Betamax!), not Blu-Ray or DVD,  but the point was we were doing something together that we all enjoyed.  Going to the theatre was an even bigger thrill.  We would get there early, get a good set of seats and wait for the moment when the lights would go down and the reel would begin.  We also, almost always, sneaked in our own snacks, sodas and all.  It was a time to bring out the big purse!  When I was a child movies were not digital and while 3D has existed for a long time, it was not commonplace.  My dad, to this day, still calls it "Going to the show".   I love that expression.

I am so thrilled that my son has now reached an age where we can share that experience.  Our first movie outing was to see the Smurfs 3D, he loved it so much we decided to go to another one Puss in Boots 3D.  He is 4 1/2 and can sit through an entire movie happily enjoying what's happening on the screen and munching some treats.  He was also really attracted by the arcade but most of the games are too difficult for him.  I found myself watching his face quite a bit during the film to see his reactions both to the story itself and to the special effects.  He finds so much joy in new experiences that I find myself re-living my childhood through him.  Every giggle, every laugh, every "o" his mouth made were like music for my eyes and ears.  He's not so great at the not talking during the movie, but most of the kids in the place were the same way.  I also really enjoy how kids movies nowadays are just as enjoyable for the adults as well.  There is always some subtle content meant to keep the adults engaged in the film as well as the kids.    As for hubby and I, well we are giant kids at heart, we enjoy almost every kind of movie, cartoons included.  I will keep bringing my little man to the movies because it is as much fun for us as it is for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment