Sunday, June 20, 2010

Movie day

In my little family, Sunday is movie day. I can't say we do it every single Sunday, but more often than not, on a Sunday afternoon, we are vegged out in front of our fantastic tv with a snack, drink, and some new release rental from our local video store. (I will not give free advertising on my blog :))

Today that movie was The Book of Eli. I have never been grossed out by the very first scene in a movie. I have to say I was completely turned off and almost didn't continue to watch the movie. If you have seen it, and you've read my previous blogs, you'll know why!

The Book of Eli is a post-apocalyptic movie about a man who needs to get his book west. In the beginning you have little more information than that. This movie is centered around survival, and faith. It's a reminder about what in life is really important. The basic necessities to sustain life; shelter, food, water and meaningful relationships. Everything else is just extra, gravy so to speak. Eli lives in a world where money means nothing, but if you have something to trade that is in any way useful, that is as good as all the gold on the Earth. There is also a theme of how knowledge is power. He who possesses and can read the book can lead the people. And be careful of who you step on along the way, if at some point you need their help, they will likely tell you where to shove it.

As I said, I almost didn't watch the movie past the first scene. I can't say it was my favourite movie, but it certainly inspired thought and made me think about how grateful I am for the life that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment