Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What kind of person are you?

In an effort not to take myself too seriously; I would like to share with you all that I am a CAT PERSON!

Ever since I can remember my family had pets.  We had all kinds of pets.  Dogs, cats, fish, hamster, birds of different kinds, my sister always wanted a snake, but thankfully that never happened.  I loved the cats the most however.  I would never kick a dog or anything in fact I like them quite a bit, but my pet of choice is and always will be cats.  Hopefully someday we will get it down to one cat.  I currently have two, but we'll start at the beginning.

The first family cat I remember having was Coco.  (Not sure if the name was due to his colouring or because my mom's fave perfume was Chanel #5.)  He was a chocolate point siamese cat.  He was beautiful.  A little aloof, he seemed to like my mom the best, I remember him sitting in her lap when he was feeling cuddly.  One day, not sure how old I was, maybe 7 or so, Coco went out for his usual run and never came home.  We were so sad.  We assumed he had died.  However, a few years later, my dad was in the backyard and watched the humane society come and remove about 100 cats and 1 dog from one of the houses at the end of the street.  All of the cats were siamese.  We started to wonder if he ended up finding a new pride.  I could see him being the alpha male. 

The next cat we had only for a short time.  Her name was Taffy.  She was beautiful.  I am still traumatized to this day by how she passed away.  She was attacked by a dog and did not survive. 

When I was 9 we got another chocolate point siamese cat.  His name was Ming.  We lovingly called him Ming-a-ding-ding.  He slept with me on a regular basis and sometimes on my mother's head.  He had a wonderful habit of sitting on the newspaper as my father was trying to read it.  His meow was so loud and obnoxious you could not believe that a sound like that could come out of a cat that small.  He weighed about 7 or 8 lbs, not very big for a male cat.  He ran the neighbourhood.  He was a brawler.  Had a nick out of his ear to prove it.  Up at the cottage he used to chase frogs at night.  We kept him on a leash up there, but never tied it to anything.  As long as he thought he was tied up, he never went too far.  When he started getting older, he made friends with younger cats to do his brawling for him.  He was very intelligent our Ming.  At the ripe old age of 16, it was time to say goodbye.  He was blind and it was time.  Ming was like my fourth sibling, my second brother.  I still miss him and think of him often.   

Jodi I found in the backyard somewhere around the age of 10.  Someone had left this kitten on our picnic table and my parents didn't want to keep her, but I cried and they gave in.  When she started peeing in the plants my parents decided it was time she go to a new home.  As far as I know she went to a nice lady who had no plants...

Bandit was Tristan's cat.  We picked him out together shortly after we started dating.  He was our first fur child.  He was the cutest little tabby kitten, he had huge paws.  I told Tristan he would be a big cat, but he didn't believe me!  Of course, I was right.  We had issues with Bandit, but overall he was a good cat and a fantastic mother.  He raised the two girls we have now.  The most affectionate, loving of cats.  He would cuddle and let you pet him for as long as you liked.  He loved women but was a scaredy cat if men came to our house.  You would see this lump under our comforter.  He thought he was hiding, but he was far too big to blend.  We said goodbye to him a year ago this past February.  We both cried our eyes out.  Sometimes I still feel him sleeping on my feet. 

The two we have left are Tica and Storm.  Or Tica-boo and Stormie.  Like all sisters (although they were not from the same litter, Tica is a few years older) they have their disagreements.  It's a lot of show, hissing, chasing, growling, slapping paws.  It's not real fighting.  When you're not looking, they share their food quite nicely and take turns using the top shelf of the kitty condo.  Tica is the sweetest cat I have ever met.  She's delicate, dainty, and has the cutest pink nose.  Stormie is a little stout, has a dirty face, loves to rub your feet, and always steals my spot in the bed after I've left it.

I am a cat person.  I know this blog has been long, but I wanted to share all my special friends with you.  I love my cats, whether they are still with me or not, they will live forever in my heart.     

1 comment:

  1. I love cats, too! Some of my cat stories are quite similar as well. I can't imagine not having a cat anymore.

    ReplyDelete