Friday, June 25, 2010

What I learned today

Today I was inspired. 

Two years ago a young man had a stroke.  Today he spoke to us about his experience since this traumatic event.  He was comatose at first and has spent the last two years in intense rehab.  He had the courage and strength to share with us his challenges, successes, and how his life has changed in both negative and positive ways.  He has not even graduated from high school yet and in some ways I think he is more wise than many adults.  His message to us was that it is not what you see on the outside that counts.  Everyone is different and has different challenges but we all matter and have purpose.

Today I was inspired.  To be careful about making assumptions or being judgmental towards anyone.  To think in terms of ability rather than disability.  I realized that no matter how difficult I think life is, for someone else, it might be far more challenging in ways I can't even imagine.

Today I was inspired by a young man who has learned more in 2 years that many don't learn in a lifetime.  I am a better person for having met him and heard his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment