Friday, September 17, 2010

Reminiscing

I'm feeling a little nostalgic this evening.  I found myself today thinking a lot about the St. Patrick's High School Drama Club 1994-1997.  What a unique experience that was.  I didn't have a lot of extra curricular activities in high school, but this was really a big one.  We rehearsed 4 days a week after school.  You had to audition if you wanted a part in the play, I figured that if I didn't get a part, I would just work backstage.  You could use the hours as volunteer work that was required in OAC.  The first play I auditioned for was Anne of Green Gables, I was so nervous, sweaty, shaky hands, it felt like I had a huge lump in my throat.  I was reading the part of Diana Barry, Anne's best friend.  I practiced and practiced at home the few days before.  I actually auditioned with the girl who ended up winning the part of Diana.  Before we started she wished me luck and told me I would do fine, and not to worry.  She was super nice and I think it was just what I needed to be able to swallow the lump in my throat.  I got through it without making any huge mistakes.  When it was over, I remember feeling so relieved, with not a clue as to if it went well or not.  The director just thanked us for reading and went on to the next pair.  The results were being posted at the end of the next day.  I remember being so anxious, anticipating the end of the school day to be able to go and check the bulletin board.  When I got there, there was a bit of a crowd and I needed to wait a bit, but when I finally got to the list, I was surprised to see my name was there!  I had gotten a part, it was a small part, but I didn't care.  I had a total of about 15 lines in the play, I played Mrs. Allan, Rev. Allan's wife.  I was ecstatic to say the least.  That was the first of four plays that I acted in.  We also did Les Miserables, Dracula, and A Murderer Among Us.  I had a lead role in Dracula, I played Van Helsing thanks to the severe shortage of male actors, and quite a unique one in AMAU.  I don't think I'll ever live down "Fireflies!".  I did a whole scene by myself in that play.  It was quite a challenge, but I loved every minute.  And drama club wasn't just about the acting and the plays, it was also about the friendships that were formed.  We spent so much time together, we played a lot of cards, and helped get each other through homework, we enjoyed each others company and for those few years they were almost like my second family.    My friend and I had a tradition of starting the first rehearsal of the year by christening the stage with; "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish."  At the end of the year, we always had a party; Karters Korners, then swimming at the director's house.  He would make a gift for every actor, it was a plaque with one of our props from the play on it.  I still have all of mine.  And tons of pictures, way more than can be found on FB.  These are memories I will cherish always.  During DC hours, I never felt like an outcast or like the most unpopular girl in our class the way I did during the rest of the school day.  I belonged.  I can't thank the cast and crew enough for that.  And the directors.  Paul, Patty, and Bruna.  And as they say in show business; "The show must go on"; and "CUT!"

No comments:

Post a Comment